Number 30 in the Muesli Bar Challenge series. The rules: fast and easy, healthy enough for school lunch boxes, robust enough to survive the trip, and approved by my school age reviewers.
This one is invented by my sister and first tested by my sweet toothed niece and nephew, Rosie and Oliver.
For this recipe you need a shallow slice pan about 18 cm square, or 14cm by 25 cm rectangle. Grease it with butter and line with greaseproof paper.
Makes about 16 bars
- 1 cup of wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 dessertspoons of cornflour (corn starch to US readers)
- 1 cup of sultanas
Add another cup of mixed bran, rolled oats, dessicated coconut, and/or crushed weetbix. You can use any combination.
In a small saucepan, melt together:
- 1/4 cup macadamia, rice bran, or other mild flavoured oil
- 2 good dessertspoons (60 grams) of butter
- 2 good dessertspoons of treacle
- 2 good dessertspoons of raw sugar
- 2 good dessertspoons of cocoa
As soon as the sugar is dissolved, take it off the heat and stir into the dry mix.
Press the mix into your slice pan, pressing down hard. Bake for 20 minutes in a medium oven.
Cool, and then refridgerate. They will become less crumbly when cold so wait till quite cold to slice up and remove from the pan.