This is an Indian style oil-based pickle that is fantastic on the side of a vegetable curry, and really really good with cheese on bread. I think it is probably a classic recipe – my version came from Rod but I don’t know where his came from! It’s a great way to manage a surplus of limes. It only takes minutes to make, but you need to start three days in advance.
Three days before bottling day:
• Slice 12 limes into eighths then crosswise into sixteenths.
• Layer in a bowl, spreading each layer with salt (4 tablespoons altogether).
• Cover and leave in a warm spot for 3 days, stirring or shaking occasionally.
On bottling day:
• In a large saucepan, heat 1 ½ cups of olive oil and sauté
4 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon pepper
• Drain the limes and add, along with
¼ cup white vinegar
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
3 dried hot chillies (crushed)
• Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then add 2 tablespoons sugar.
• Spoon and pour into hot sterilized jars.
• Store in a cool dark place for at least a month before using