The zucchini glut is upon us! (And the tromboncino are about to start now too). This was a make-it-up as you go recipe, and the quantities are very negotiable. But it is fast and easy and a good way to make zucchini work for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
(Makes 6 patties).
In a bowl mix together:
- a large zucchini or a couple of medium ones, grated
- a matchbox size piece of haloumi chopped into small dice (or a bit more if you like)
- a good handful of sweet or lemon basil chopped fine
- a spring onion chopped fine
- about half a teaspoon of grated lemon zest (or a bit more if you like)
- two small to medium size eggs
- a good handful of wholemeal flour
Squish together with your hands to make a thick patty mix. Shape into patties and shallow fry in light olive oil in a medium hot pan. You want your pan hot enough that they cook in a few minutes each side to golden and crispy.
Serve hot with a salad and chutney, or with a poached egg, or cold in a lunch box.